Tuesday 17 March 2009

I could not let him slither away..

...until I had eliminated all chance that he might be an honest troll. So, I have been to the source he later directed me to - the US Centre for Disease Control. And yes, there are indeed statistics which show a majority of infanticides being committed by the mothers. However, these figures only relate to 9.1% of all child killings -those in the first week of life, 82.6% of which occurred on the first day. 95% of these births took place outside hospital and the majority of the mothers were adolescents with histories of mental health problems. So, a frightened, mentally distressed child gives birth alone- perhaps not even knowing (due to inadequate sex education) that she has been pregnant. She then smothers the child. Tragic indeed but, I would argue, deserving more of compassion and care than censure and in no way representative of the female population at large.

Such a selective use of statistics to support an allegation that most child killings are committed by single mothers is nothing other than a poisonous lie.

I then turned to a research paper, by Murray A Strauss, which is published on a web site called batteredmen.com. This, the troll alleges, proves that women are equally, if not more, culpable in domestic violence. The first thing that became evident is that this seems to be a sound piece of work. The second thing was that it does not offer support to the assumption behind the name of the website. To quote Strauss, "for men, the risk of injury and therefore fear of injury, is relatively low." He stresses that there is a real, quantitive and qualititive, difference between a slap and a beating - although both are legally assaults. Furthermore, he ends with this statement:
I believe humanity needs research inspired by the moral agenda and perspective of those who focus on the oppression of women, regardless of whether the oppression is physical, sexual, psychological or economic; and also research inspired by the moral agenda of those who focus on physical assault, regardless of whether the assault is by a man, woman or child. I even dare to hope that the controversy will be resolved by recognizing the need for both perspectives, and that this will bring an end to attempts to discredit those whose agenda and professional role requires a different approach and different perspective.


This is hardly a stinging indictment of feminist theory - indeed, it calls for a further application of it. Strauss does not question the reality of the oppression of women but accepts it as a given. The fact that he calls for research to take other factors into account does not affect this and I would not argue with him.

The troll's attempt to cite this paper as evidence supporting his contention that men are equal, or greater, victims seems, at best, disingenuous. As far as I can make out at first glance , Strauss simply does not say it. "Battered" men are not as equal in number or significance to battered women.

But I certainly do not expect a troll to worry about evidence - since all facts can be twisted to serve his agenda. A slap to him is the moral equivalent of a kicking and a frightened and bewildered child is a vicious murderer.

This set of values seems deeply sick. And yet, I fear, it pervades much society.

2 comments:

Idris said...

m done with this, Troll

Nowhere do I say that women are perfect and that all men are abusers. What I allege is that there is active oppression of both women and men in our society and that this is more apparent when looked at from the perspective of women.

And, by the way, do not whine that I am rude to you and put words into your mouth when you have come, uninvited into my space and actively abused me within a few sentences of entering.

Furthermore, nowhere have you publicly owned what you say - the name you provide leads to the statement -"profile not available". So still anonymous, eh?

So, I have had enough. This is my space and you are not welcome. I am asserting my property rights and evicting you.

Goodbye.

Anonymous said...

from Frank,

why did all my comments get deleted? I remember specifically replying to every accusation a couple months ago and I had to leave it to finish my studies. And now it's all deleted, obviously because you knew you were refuted and it hurts to know so

"that this is more apparent when looked at from the perspective of women."

---riiiiight....only women know about domestic violence.Oh and let's not forget about the women who ENCOURAGE it too:

http://glennsacks.com/blog/?p=1912

[ "I couldn't comprehend what was happening. After that I became very intrigued with what makes a woman stay in an abusive relationship. How does her spirit break?"

I'm not sure if a "broken spirit" is the proper explanation. Langhinrichsen-Rohling explained that during her research she had wondered why some of the women were leaving a battered women's shelter in less than a week. The answer, she said, is that they too were engaging in violence against their partners, and in some cases had left to pick up the battle again. Jennifer explained, "We weren't helping these women because we were ignoring their paradigm." ]


"when you have come, uninvited into my space and actively abused me within a few sentences of entering"

----?? People need to be INVITED to make comments on your post? How do you do that, go around inviting random people on the internet that they can allow to post on your blog???

criticizing and challenging your beliefs is 'actively abusing' you eh? And 'within a few sentences' at that too! How rude!


"nowhere have you publicly owned what you say - the name you provide leads to the statement -"profile not available". So still anonymous, eh?"

----what does it matter WHO it is that's saying it jeez??? I HAVE to give a name and my profile and address and my age and where I live and where I work?


"So, I have had enough. This is my space and you are not welcome. I am asserting my property rights and evicting you."

---yes, you've had enough of being rebutted on every point